CHCECE001 - Historical Issues & Importance Of Cultural Competency

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Victoria85

CHCECE001 - Historical Issues & Importance Of Cultural Competency

Post by Victoria85 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCECE001 Develop Cultural Competence
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Name 3 historical issues in relation to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and why is it important to consider this when working towards cultural competency?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Name 3 historical issues in relation to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and why is it important to consider this when working towards cultural competency.

There are many historical issues in relation to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people in Australia. Three of these historical issues are:

• Stolen generation
• Invasion and colonisation
• White Australia Policy

We need to consider these historical issues when working towards cultural competency to allow us to gain more insight, understanding, empathy and respect towards aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people. When we are able to identify and acknowledge historical issues it allows us to better understand and develop new skills and strategies toward creating a harmonious future by creating equitable and respectful relationships and environments.
Considering historical issues opens us up to how these issues have affected modern day Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and allows us to have an understanding of issues they are faced with and the empathy to respond sensitively to their needs and any issues they may have.

Description and Message:
I noticed when answering this question I kept going off track from 'why is it important to consider this when working towards cultural competency' and just want to make sure I did in fact answer what has been asked :/
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Victoria85

Re: CHCECE001 - Historical Issues & Importance Of Cultural Competency

Post by Victoria85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:18 pm

There are many historical issues in relation to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people in Australia. Three of these historical issues are:

• Stolen generation
• White Australia Policy

We need to consider these historical issues when working towards cultural competency to allow us to develop our knowledge, attitudes and skills required to be culturally competent.
By understanding, acknowledging and considering these historical issues when working towards cultural competency we gain the empathy and respect to be able to communicate in a culturally sensitive and appropriate way taking into consideration any lasting effects from these histories. This then allows us to form respectful and trusting relationships which are culturally sensitive and appropriate.
If historical issues aren’t considered when working towards cultural competency we could unintentionally, due to a lack of knowledge, empathy and understanding, cause more resentment by our attitudes and behaviors to add to the grief already endured by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Thanks for that link :) I think it steered me more in the right direction... do you think this is more relevant?

Lorina

Re: CHCECE001 - Historical Issues & Importance Of Cultural Competency

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Victoria85 wrote:There are many historical issues in relation to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people in Australia. Three of these historical issues are:

• Stolen generation
• White Australia Policy

We need to consider these historical issues when working towards cultural competency to allow us to develop our knowledge, attitudes and skills required to be culturally competent.
By understanding, acknowledging and considering these historical issues when working towards cultural competency we gain the empathy and respect to be able to communicate in a culturally sensitive and appropriate way taking into consideration any lasting effects from these histories. This then allows us to form respectful and trusting relationships which are culturally sensitive and appropriate.
If historical issues aren’t considered when working towards cultural competency we could unintentionally, due to a lack of knowledge, empathy and understanding, cause more resentment by our attitudes and behaviors to add to the grief already endured by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Thanks for that link :) I think it steered me more in the right direction... do you think this is more relevant?
I think this is a good response! And it is relevant to the question!

:geek:,
L.A