CHC50908 - Scenario: Parental Concerns on School Readiness

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Kylie07

CHC50908 - Scenario: Parental Concerns on School Readiness

Post by Kylie07 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHC50908
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
The scenario is about a mother concerned about her 4.7y not ready for school because she doesn't come home with Coloured in stencils and believes we should supply coloring in books. They also believe their daughter is to old for rest time sleeps and want their child to go out side and play.

What communication strategies would you use during the interaction with the parent to demonstrate respect and concern?

What limitations would you impact on fulfilling the requests by the parent? How would you explain and discuss these limitation?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
My answer to this so far is that we don't use stencils work in pre prep, and that her child doesn't have to have a sleep but can not go out side to play but instead can have quite activities inside?

Communication book outlining about their child's day and activities we are working on with their child?

Thats all i have so far Obviously will be written a lot better then that but am I on the right track??

Thank you!

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Parent concerns.

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Yes you're on the right track with your response. You can also suggest to have a parent meeting about school readiness for the preschool children, where you can discuss what types of activities/experiences the preschool age group will be involved in for the preparation of school... This will enable all parents an understanding of the school readiness program. If the parents don't want their child to sleep then that should be fine. However, all children should rest for at least 30 minutes and then can get up for quiet activities until all children have finished their sleep time.

I'm adding an article on School Readiness Program available in Resources, Childcare Professionals for further ideas.

Hope this helps,

;geek:,
L.A

cleo01

Re: CHC50908 - Scenario: Parental Concerns on School Readiness

Post by cleo01 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 am

I have the same question i basically answered similarly but I also said that the child was unable to go outside whilst the others are sleeping due to child staff ratio and also with the new framework stencils are not really incorporated but im not sure how to link the framework to my answer can anyone please help?

Lorina

Re: CHC50908 - Scenario: Parental Concerns on School Readiness

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Regarding outside play during sleep time I think it depends... At the centre if there is a shade area or verandah just outside the room I think it's fine to let children go outside and play under the shaded area if the ratio permits. An educator can be inside with the sleepers while another is with a group outside in which they can do quiet activitie/ school readiness while outside.

Personally using stencils I believe is fine to an extent. With school readiness it may be necessary to use stencils to engage the children and to help them understand concepts. Using a few stencils here and there won't affect the children and besides they enjoy it!

Hope this help,

:geek:,
L.A