CHC50113 - Scenario: Innam, Jipla and Carrie - Negative Behaviour Guidance

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

CHC50113 - Scenario: Innam, Jipla and Carrie - Negative Behaviour Guidance

Post by Lillypad88 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Question:
What Happened?
Inaam, Jipla and Carrie (4.7yrs) are playing in home corner. The girls have taken on roles as mother, baby and daughter. The play continues happily for around 20 minutes and then the girls begin to argue about the direction of the play. Inaam (mother) wants the daughter (Carrie) to go to the shops to get food while she puts the baby (Jipla) to bed. Jipla wants to go to the shops with Carrie. They all begin to argue. Jipla announces that she is ‘not playing any more’ and pushes past Inaam who stumbles backwards and knocks over two chairs. ‘Now look what you made me do!’ she screams at Jipla.
The educator turned when she heard the crash and rushed over.
‘What’s going on here? Who knocked over the chairs?’
Jipla points at Inaam, ‘She did.’
‘Inaam get up and go and sit on the mat by yourself and think about your behaviour.’
Inaam walks towards the mat crying. ‘It wasn’t me.’
‘Jipla and Carrie tidy up this mess and go and find something else to do. You have all been extremely silly and I am very annoyed!’
Fifteen minutes later the educator approaches Inaam. ‘Well Inaam what have you got to say for yourself?’
Inaam bows her head and says ‘Sorry’
Educator: ‘Right, you can go and find something else to do away from the other girls.’

Q3 (A)Suggest why the educator’s intervention was inappropriate
Answer:The educator was extremely negative towards Inaam, she could have said “We are friendly with our mates,” the adult can calm down an upset child, then teach the child how to use friendlier words to express her feelings. (This teaching is built on a positive adult-child relationship that the adult is always working to improve [Watson 2003].) Rules are usually stated as negatives and this is what this educator did, she didn’t teach her what was wrong, just told her to go and have time out.

I got a message back after I submitted it saying? Please list all the ineffective strategies applied by the educator and identify why they are not effective. You have also not outlined the negative us of time out.

Q3(B)
Answer:What do you think the girls ‘learnt’ from the educator’s handling of this disagreement? (It may not be
‘positive’ learning.)
Answer: That this educator has to find someone to blame for bad behaviour without trying to help the children. She is very negative with her beliefs
I got an error message back saying "what other negative things would be learnt by the girls?"

Q3(C)
Answer:Applying Gartrell’s (2004) Five finger formula list the steps the educator should have used to guide the children in conflict resolution.

I got an error message back saying "See guidance Matters (Gartrell) resource as suggested. You need to apply the Five finger formula suggested by Gartrell (2004) for the effective conflict resolutions please list all steps you would take.

I would be very grateful if you could please let me know where I went wrong here?
Thank you
Lillian

Lorina

Re: CHC50113 - Scenario: Innam, Jipla and Carrie - Negative Behaviour Guidance

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:55 pm

So for Q3A) you need to list all the things that the educator did wrong and why they were wrong. Just re-read the scenario and get the information from there itself - for example:

‘What’s going on here? Who knocked over the chairs?’ - Educator should make sure the children are safe, ask what has happened rather than blaming a child for knocing over the chairs etc.

Also here is some information on time out: Negative Impacts Of Time Out

For Q3B) maybe something like - the children are not encouraged to try and problem solve the issue. They are just told to leave to find something else to do. This can cause a negative effec for the children as they just move away if a problem arises rather than discuss it...

Here is some information on how to do the five finger formula for Q3C): Five Finger Formula

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Re: CHC50113 - Scenario: Innam, Jipla and Carrie - Negative Behaviour Guidance

Post by Lillypad88 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Thank you Lorina