Anaphylaxis incident report- answer check

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Chbeach67

Anaphylaxis incident report- answer check

Post by Chbeach67 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi! I have to fill up an incident form for the following scenario.

"You are an Assistant Educator in a 3-5 year old room.

Today is Claire's birthday. Her father has brought in a cake to share with the children. After all the children have eaten their fruit and sung ‘Happy Birthday’ to Claire, a staff member gives all the children a piece of the cake. Samantha (aged 4 years) is sitting at the table eating the cake with other children and is enjoying the celebration when you suddenly remember that she is allergic to eggs and has had an anaphylaxis reaction before.

You observe some red welts developing on her face, her lips appear to be swelling and she seems to be having difficulty breathing.
Your centre has an emergency action plan in place for her, it includes administering an Epipen.

Your qualified staff member is out of the room however you remember your training of what to do in this situation and how to administer the Epipen to Sarah."

My answers as of now:
General activity at the time of incident/injury/trauma/illness:
Eating cake
Cause of injury/trauma:
Egg allergy
Circumstances surrounding any illness, including apparent symptom:
After eating cake, Samantha developed red welts on her face, her lips appeared to swell and seems to have difficulty breathing.

Details of action taken (including first aid, administration of medication etc):
An epipen was administered, emergency services was contacted along with Samantha's emergency contact.

Did emergency services attend?: Yes
Was medical attention sought from a registered practitioner / hospital?: No
If yes to either of the above, provide details:
Samantha was suffering from anaphylaxis so medication was administered and emergency services was called to have her transfered to the hospital for observation.

Have any steps been taken to prevent or minimise this type of incident in the
future?:

Would I have been right in administering epipen? Also have I missed anything in my answers and are there any suggestions for the last question as to steps to prevent the incident in the future? And am I wrong to answer no on the was medical attention sought from a registered prac / hospital as the pamphlets from ASCIA say they should go to hospital for 4 hour observation

Lorina

Re: Anaphylaxis incident report- answer check

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Yes, you're on the right track with your response!

"Have any steps been taken to prevent or minimise this type of incident in the
future" - All Educators need to be aware and remember if a child has food allergies. A chart can be kept of a child with allergies in the kitchen, an alternative arrangement should be made for a child with allergies, check all ingredients brought from parents, make a cake at the centre instead etc.

:geek:,
Lorina

Chbeach67

Post by Chbeach67 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Thank you so much!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:42 am

You're welcome!

:geek:,
Lorina