Paid Programming OOSH

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Paid Programming OOSH

Post by Macoola » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I work at a small OOSH. I am the only one working at the centre and am diploma trained. I do all the programming, obs and paperwork for the centre. I also do the shopping for the centre. I get reimbursement for the shopping but not for my time or fuel. Also I don't get any paid programming time. I don't know much about paid programming. Do OOSH centres get paid programming time? If so how much a week?

Thanks Macoola

Lorina

Re: Paid Programming OOSH

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:09 am

As far as I'm aware your programming time is included in your hours so it's not paid, however you should receive 2 hours of programming time each week. If you happen to have to stay overtime at work to complete your programming then I think you should be paid either overtime or time in lieu as I don't think it's fair that you should work after hours to complete your work. You'll need to discuss this with your management...The following article may help as well:

Breaks, Leaves & Overtime

:geek:,
Lorina

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks for your reply Lorina. Unfortunately because we have no other staff members there is no one to cover me if I was to do programming during my work hours. So this is why all the programming I do is overtime. I will talk to my boss about it and see what we can sort out.

Thanks

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:00 am

I understand the need to plan activities for oosh but observations? What purpose do observations serve in OOSH?

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Observations serve the same purpose is OOSH as they do in LDC or FDC. I use the obs to plan activities. Also we are required to do them, one per child per month.

Macoola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:56 am

Maybe you can go to work a couple of hours early and get your programming done. As per regulations you should get 2 hours of programming time each week within your working hours. You're right, since you're by yourself it would be hard to manage it. What happens when you're sick or need to go to the toilet at work? Who covers you?

Lorina

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks Lorina. Should I still get 2 hours of programming as the GL even if I work part time. We are only open afternoons at the moment because of lack of enrolments so should I still get 2 hours each week? Also I have only taken one sick day and that was when I was in hospital. So it is very difficult for me to take sick days, so I never do. Also I can't go to the toilet while looking after the kids I make sure I go just before I start work.

Thanks Macoola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:39 am

Maybe if you are working part time you can get an hour? Since full time employees get 2 hours... Any educator that's required to program and plan should be given a set time during the week to prepare and plan all documentation needed. It must be a little hard for you to work by yourself. You can't even go to the toilet! That's a little tough!!

Lorina

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks for the advice Lorina,

It can be a little tough. I don't mind being there on my own I an just finding keeping up with the observations for every child a bit hard. I have about 25 to 30 obs I have to do each month. Anyways I'm sure I can work something out with my boss.

Thanks again

Macoola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Yeah definitely talk to your boss about your concerns... I'm sure you'll be able to work something out and come to an agreement that you can be happy with!

Lorina

tinytots
Participator
Participator

Post by tinytots » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 am

Macoola, we get paid 2 hours a week extra on top of our normal weekly pay to do programming. So you should look into that because you are entitled to the extra pay for programming.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks tinytots

I know the more I work for my employer the more I realise how slack she is. She never pays overtime, programming or anything like that.

Thanks Macoola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:41 am

Macoola wrote:Thanks tinytots

I know the more I work for my employer the more I realise how slack she is. She never pays overtime, programming or anything like that.

Thanks Macoola
Macoola, maybe it's time to move on... You should be somewhere you're happy to be or you're going to end up resenting going to work each day which can be depressing... Why put in so much effort with nothing in return?

Lorina