Cutting pay for not signing out

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Cutting pay for not signing out

Post by WarblerOn » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey there

Okay so I've been working at this centre, and this would be my 5th day working there, one day I forgot to sign out
and I understand the mistakes, and I agreed with my director when she said it is not a good thing to do, everything else has been going well.

My director said she was going to cut of my pay, and I thought fair enough, I made a mistake, I even said that to her "fair enough" and I can't argue with them because they'll say its part of my duty. They did warn me at the beginning about singing in/signing out sheets and how they can get big fines for not following the procedures. I get that.

I would have liked the warning on the other subject however to say (you do this and you won't get your pay), but I don't want to cause trouble either and as far as I'm aware you can't take it to court because they'll say that in their policy...etc so they have the right to take of that days pay, but my parents believe this isn't true, they aren't happy, and I understand, because no one wants to work for free, as much as we love the kids and I'm very short with money as it is, but facts are that it was a mistake and I'm trying to explain that childcare is very strict on their policies, can you just confirm if they can do this, because in other jobs it would be against the law not to give your pay but now I'm not so sure. I'm just following what my teachers tell us about policies and procedures, and the strict duties we need to follow.

Is it fair to cut of a days work or against the law?

Lorina

Re: Cutting pay for not signing out

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:09 am

I think that you should be given a break! I mean, it's only your 5th day at the centre are they already want to cut your pay because of simple mistake! Seriously! Yes, we both know that the centre can be fined for not having the correct documentation but cutting your pay in your first week is unnecessary! You should of just been given a reminder about it. Out of curiosity, how much are they cutting? Can you talk to the director once again about this issue and say that you feel it's unfair that you pay should be cut in the first week of work? If they ask why you didn't speak up before just say that this has really been bothering you and that you're really sorry...

I'm not sure if this is legal... I'll see if I can find any info to help.

:geek:,
Lorina

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Post by WarblerOn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:43 am

I'm not sure about that, i need to check my account first. I think she said for that days pay, but I could be wrong, so I'll see what happens. Thanks for that though.

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Post by WarblerOn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:11 am

I'm sort of hoping that I misheard her, or it wasn't as bad as i thought, and just like 10% cut off, I wouldn't mind so much, it's a full 8 and half hour shift so that's why I was upset.

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Post by megs_95 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm pretty sure that no employer has the right to just not pay you... if you worked those hours you are entitled to be paid (or receive time in lieu, etc).

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Post by WarblerOn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:14 pm

It's been worked out with the director, I talked to her about my concern and she is not going to take away my pay.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:36 am

What a relief! Good News!! Good on you for following it up! :thumbup:

Dont forget to sign out! LOL

:geek:,
Lorina

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Post by WarblerOn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:42 am

Haha I definately won't. Thank you for your advise

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:45 pm

If I did not pay my employers for the amount of days they forgot to sign in or out I would have made my centre a LOT of money, that is unfair and ridiculous to do that, especially to a new employee!
It is not like I did not know they were there and what shift they worked! Some people do things just for the sake of it, makes them feel important I think.