Social, Political and Economic Issues Affecting ATSI

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
hsidaros
Participator
Participator

Social, Political and Economic Issues Affecting ATSI

Post by hsidaros » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi Lorina,
Could you please help me with this Question cause I'm not sure if i'm on right track or not !!!

Q : Discuss the social, political and economic issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people.

My answer is :

There are many of social, political and economic issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people:
Health Issues:
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people suffer greater health burdens compared to the non-Aboriginal population. Durie (1999) explained that the poor health status of Aboriginal peoples is due to economic disadvantage, resource alienation and political oppression.

Economic Issues:
Income and education impact on an individual’s ability to ‘engage’ and ‘influence’ society. Indigenous Australians are known to have the lowest economic status of all Australians. Poor socio-economic, education and employment levels have links to financial hardship, poverty, debt, homelessness, family breakdown, social isolation and crime. Indigenous Australians suffer disproportionately high levels of domestic violence and over-representation in the justice system.

Socio-political factors
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people experience extreme levels of racism in Australia. This is typified historically by their exclusion from elite and mainstream power structures, as highlighted by Indigenous people not being recognised as Australian citizens until 1967. Nugent (2003) noted that Aboriginal Australians grow up learning two kinds of histories: memories preserved by family, and a humiliating textbook history taught in schools that does not recognise the depth of Indigenous culture. Behrendt (2003) noted that reconciliation can only occur when sovereignty is acknowledged through the recognition of past injustices, property rights and cultural practices.

Thank you in advance

Lorina

Re: Social, Political and Economic Issues Affecting ATSI

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:16 pm

It sounds like you're on the right track with your response! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina

hsidaros
Participator
Participator

Re: Social, Political and Economic Issues Affecting ATSI

Post by hsidaros » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 pm