Scenario: Joel - Mother Quietly Leaving

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
nemodori
Contributor
Contributor

Scenario: Joel - Mother Quietly Leaving

Post by nemodori » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Joel's mother usually waits until Joel (3yrs 6mths) is settled and then whispers goodbyes before quietly leaving, knowing that Joel will not hear or see her. Joel begins to cry as soon as he realises his mother has left.

What would you say to Joel's mother about saying goodbye?

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Joel - Mother Quietly Leaving

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 am

Well basically when a parent leaves they should say goodbye to their child so the child knows that they will be leaving because if not each time thae parent leaves the room (even at home) the child will become upset thinking that they have left them...

:geek:,
Lorina

pola
Participator
Participator

Post by pola » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:35 pm

I would say to her that saying goodbye is one of the separation routines that educators and parents could follow. It is extremely important to develop a separation routine. I will recommend Joel’s mother to arrive in time to spend 15mins with Joel. Will also suggest to put away belongings and accompany Joel’s to an experience. Moreover, I will tell her to say goodbye than hug or kiss and Joel can wave goodbye at the window. The mother will e asked to leave once she have said goodbye. I will also promise Joel’s mum that I will reassure him that she will return after work. Will also advice parent that she can ring later.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:00 am

pola wrote:I would say to her that saying goodbye is one of the separation routines that educators and parents could follow. It is extremely important to develop a separation routine. I will recommend Joel’s mother to arrive in time to spend 15mins with Joel. Will also suggest to put away belongings and accompany Joel’s to an experience. Moreover, I will tell her to say goodbye than hug or kiss and Joel can wave goodbye at the window. The mother will e asked to leave once she have said goodbye. I will also promise Joel’s mum that I will reassure him that she will return after work. Will also advice parent that she can ring later.
Thanks for your input!

:geek:,
Lorina