Scenario: Dakotah and Abdi

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
hind90

Scenario: Dakotah and Abdi

Post by hind90 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:11 am

SCENARIO #1: Infants and Toddlers

Dakotah (girl, 7 months) turns her face away from the Early Childhood Educator who approaches her. It is the ECE’s first day in the infant-toddler room. Dakotah looks at you, a CCA with whom she is very familiar. She starts to cry as she holds her arms up towards you. She looks frightened. -
SCENARIO #2: Preschoolers

As Abdi (boy, age 2 ½ years) enters the daily living centre, Jessie (girl, age 5 years) shouts, “You can’t play here! This is my house”. Abdi steps back and frowns. His bottom lips trembles. He brings his hands up to his mouth and places his fingertips into his mouth. He looks toward the floor and begins to cry. Jessie looks at Abdi and says, “Sorry Abdi… You can come to my house to visit me. Sit on the chair. Do you want some supper?”
SCENARIO #3: School-age children :

A group of three seven-year-old girls is playing a board game called Candyland. They are taking turns rolling the dice and moving game pieces around the game board. Xinxin (girl, age 6 years) approaches the table where the girls are playing. Crystal, one of the seven-year old girls, looks up at Xinxin and says, “You can’t play with us. We don’t like you.” Crystal turns to the other two girls she is playing the game with and says, “We don’t like her, right?”
A-what is the child or children doing to do?
• Think about the developmental level of the child involved
• Think about the purpose of the behavior from the child point of view
• How the child might describe their behaving in this way
B-what can you say to the child that will help in this situation?
• Give specific examples using quotations.
• Use positive statement
C-what can you do to help the child in this situation?
• Give specific examples of physical action that what you demonstrate
• If appropriate, explain how you would make changes in the environment

My answer is :
A. Dakotah was trying to tell the CCA that she is not comfortable with the new Early Childhood Educator by crying and trying to hide behind her because in this age crying is her only way to express herself that means she needs help. The developmental level is stranger anxiety, so it is normal for the child at this age to become distraught and frightened. She described her feeling by her body language she turned her face away from the new Early Childhood Educator and by emotional languages, she cried and held her arms up towards from the CCA.
B. I know the baby can’t verbally communicate with me, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t talk with her, so I will try to speak with her gently by using simple words and positive statements.
For example: “you look upset, do you need a hug”
C. First of all, I need to be close to her by playing and talking with her when the ECE holds her until she will comfortable to feel safe and secure. Secondly, in this situation, I need to change the environment, so I can start playing with her by blowing bubbles. If she does not stop crying, I can take her to another calm area because if she is around the other children all of them will be crying too. After that, I can play a different kind of games with her, like songs, finger plays, rainbow ball, stacking coloring blocks and tearing the papers apart. I will have to make sure she doesn’t eat the pieces.

- Scenario 2:

A. Children at this age have a strong sense of fairness and might not want to share a toy or a game. At this scenario, Abdi wants to play with his new friend Jessie and she doesn’t want to participate with him, and Abdi describes his feelings by using his body language and crying. So after Jessie knows this, she realizes he is her friend and that she made a mistake. She corrected her action by inviting him to visit her house as a guest. So that developmental level is shown by her getting along well with other children.
B. First, I need to speak with Abdi about what made him upset, and also with Jessie to fix the problem. Secondly, I would try to explain in a proper way how we feel when the other children refuse to play with us in an unkind way. Thirdly, I have to compliment her on her having treated Abdi kindly and how she apologized to him.
I would say “Thank you, Jessie. I noticed how kindly you cared for Abdi’s feelings, look how happy your friend is when you share play together”

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Dakotah and Abdi

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Yes, I think your responses are good! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina

hind90

Post by hind90 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Thank you so much Lorina

Lorina