Report-writing standards and protocols for writing observation reports

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
melissaa

Report-writing standards and protocols for writing observation reports

Post by melissaa » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi there, I have answered the following question but I am not 100% sure I understood what they wanted. I would like to know if you think my answer makes sense or if you can think of something else. Thank you so much! Melissa.

6. What report-writing standards and protocols should you follow when writing observation reports?

I should follow the code of Ethics, use they EYLEF, NQS and relevant frameworks for relevance of observations.

Reporting should be simple, clear and accurate. It should support children’s development with further relevant planning.

Educators should:

- View documentation as an important part of their work with children and families.
- Capture children’s voices and ideas in planning, documentation and evaluation.
- Try different methods to find what is realistic, achievable and relevant for children, families, educators, then set and establish some benchmarks that are reviewed regularly.
- Be selective in what they choose to document because it is not possible to capture all of the rich experiences and learnings that occur every day.
- Share documentation efforts and experiences, and continue to learn, grow and develop.
- Be open to change as the dynamics of the children’s group or team change.
- Constantly review and remind themselves why they are documenting and for whom.
- Make it relevant for the setting, as documentation will look different across different settings. For example, long day care, family day care, outside school hours care and preschool require different methods of documenting, given that children vary in ages and amounts of time spent in the service.
- Be clear about what the standards, learning frameworks and, if relevant, the funding agreements are asking you to do.

Gathering and analysing information about what children know, can do and understand is part of the ongoing cycle that includes planning, documenting and evaluating children’s learning.