NATHAN

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
lorena_mcculloch

NATHAN

Post by lorena_mcculloch » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi everyone, can anyone help me with this task,, i find it abit difficult..
The scenario
Kylie has asked nathan to help put up a display of the childrens artwork.Nathan is tall and can easily reach the display boards. Today however he is trying to attach some string to the top of the window with a thumbtacks and he can't quite reach it. Nathan would normally used the step ladde but it was broke sometime ago and has not benn replaced or repaired. Natahn decides to stand on child sized chair.the thumbtack proves hard to push into the wood so nathan strech higher twisting a little as he pushes.the chair over balanced and natahn falls off.
to break his fall nathan grabs hold of the shelf where the cd player stands.the cd player and the box of cds fall to the floor. the lid of the player smashes into severwAL pcs and the playes lands on kylies foot.natahn is lucky to have fallen through the window. Nathan has jarred his shoulder and scrapped his back on the shelf and kylies foot is badly bruised. they are both grateful no children were hurt.

identify three key hazards and complete the risk control matrix.and assesed level of risk..i don't quite get it..can someone explain it to me pls. and describe the strategy would you use?.thanks
i don't understand about pprabability
scale of risk 1- high priority do something immediately
6= do something when possible

and asssed level of risk--i don't get it...

hazard 1 standing on child size chair- strategy eliminate the hazard

my understanding is natahn should't stand on child sized chair to avoid the accident and he should report the broken ladder for immediate repair or replacement.
hazard 2 stretching above the shoulder- strategy substitute something else for the hazard

stretching should have been avoided if the ladder is available and accident wouldn't happen.

hazard 3 falling- strategy-- not sure what to used isolate the hazard or change the work practice

nathan could have been easily have broken bones in the fall or cut himself from broekn window or worse fallen througthwindow..
THANKS.

Lorina

Re: NATHAN

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Ok, so firstly when reading through the scenario you have to identify the hazards. Hazards are basically unsafe or potentially dangerous objects or situations which could lead to someone injuring themselves.

So, have a read once again through the scenario and see if you can identify any hazards. For example: nathan standing on a child sized chair, stretching above the shoulder, using thumb tacks etc.

For completing the risk assessment matrix, Im attaching a document below which will explain how you can identify the hazards using the risk assessment matrix so, hopefully this could help answer the rest of your questions...

[attachment=0]using_matrix_approach.doc[/attachment]
Can you please also let me know the module number for this particular unit, so I can edit the topic heading. Please remember to include this in the topic heading next time - thanks.

Hope This Helps :geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lorena_mcculloch

Post by lorena_mcculloch » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 am

Hi Thanks for the help and response...

I'm only on my cluster 1 assessment 10.
Element 4; Contribute to hazard identification,OHS risk assessment and risk control activities..is that the module?

Appreciate all your help..

Have a great day everyone..

glaive
Participator
Participator

Post by glaive » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Module number is HLTOHS300BC Contribute to OHS Processes

My assignment was slightly different, but it did include the same scenario. In mine two hazards were already identified.