Journal Entry Of Self Identity

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

Journal Entry Of Self Identity

Post by momotayeasmin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Journal Entry: Write up to five words to describe your self-identity - choose words that reflect who you are –your self-dimension, your cultural beliefs and values.

I am Momota Yeasmin(Assistant Educator of childcare). Honest, reliable, open-minded, Values – fairness, religious beliefs and care, Cultural beliefs – commitment to family

QUESTION 1 (B)

Journal Entry: Describe one value that you hold as an adult that can be directly attributed to your upbringing. Reflect and comment on why this value has stayed with you into adulthood.

Religious beliefs and care, Because as a Muslim I believe my religion from my heart & this religion teach me about care with other.

QUESTION 1 (C)

Journal Entry: Describe your best personal attribute. Now describe how this attribute contributes to your self-identity.
Personal attributes, sometimes referred to as ‘personal qualities’ or ‘personality traits’, also contribute to self-identity. Some examples of personal attributes:
• A sense of humour
• Hard working
• Good communication
• Sensitive to others

QUESTION 1 (D)

Journal Entry: Describe a tradition or ritual that is practiced by you and/or your family. Reflect on the meaning of this ritual and describe how it contributes to your self-identity.

It is common that diverse cultures have their own celebrations and practice their own rituals. These contribute to the development of self-identity and become a part of our culture.
For example: Fasting during Ramadan, gives a sense of purity and gratitude

QUESTION 1 (E)

Imagine you have been transported to a place in the world where the culture - language, traditions, values, beliefs and practices, food, dress, gender roles, religious beliefs, individual rights, family roles and child rearing practices are completed different to your own. You are required to live in this place for 6 months without any contact with your home or family.
Journal entry:

(i) Describe how you might feel.
When everything is different that time we feel very poor & lonely.
(ii) What would you miss most?
Family, Friends, Relatives & my favourite food.
(iii) What assistance would you like from your new community to help you settle in and feel safe?
Some good suggestion and co-operation.

QUESTION 1 (F)

Journal Entry: In around half a page describe how you might translate this self-reflection to your work with children and families from a culture different to your own.
When reflecting on your self-identity it is important to understand that as adults, our beliefs and values have been formed over time through our own experiences, upbringing, families and surrounding community. Values from childhood are often carried on into adult hood, such as:
• Importance of family and education
• Importance of talking over issues and concerns
• Importance of being open and honest

I need help to know the answer is correct or not.

Lorina

Re: Journal Entry

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:25 am

There isn't really a write or wrong answer as it is based upon your practices and beliefs. You also need to make sure you read the question because a few of your responses don't answer the question:
Describe a tradition or ritual that is practiced by you and/or your family. Reflect on the meaning of this ritual and describe how it contributes to your self-identity.

It is common that diverse cultures have their own celebrations and practice their own rituals. These contribute to the development of self-identity and become a part of our culture.

You need to talk about your OWN tradition and how it reflects YOUR self identity.

Have a read through the questions again and write your response based upon your own thought and ideas. There is no right or wrong, so just write!

:geek:,
Lorina

nemodori
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nemodori » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Lorina wrote:There isn't really a write or wrong answer as it is based upon your practices and beliefs. You also need to make sure you read the question because a few of your responses don't answer the question:
Describe a tradition or ritual that is practiced by you and/or your family. Reflect on the meaning of this ritual and describe how it contributes to your self-identity.

You need to talk about your OWN tradition and how it reflects YOUR self identity.

Have a read through the questions again and write your response based upon your own thought and ideas. There is no right or wrong, so just write!

Lorina

Hi Lorina,
I am stuck on this same question of
(F).
Which is
- Describe how you might translate this self-reflection to your work with children and families from a culture different to your own.

Does this question mean; how I will describe or tell someone about some of my own cultural rituals or something; to someone different to my culture?
I do not understand this question. Please help me out.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 pm

I think it means how would you reflect your personal beliefs and values etc. from a culture different from your own. For example, during Ramadam you will fast, so at work you will also be fasting, you can tell the children about why you are fasting... So basically what you will do at work that reflects you...

Lorina

momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by momotayeasmin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi Lorina,
I need your help for Q(F)
I gave this answer
Journal Entry: In around half a page describe how you might translate this self-reflection to your work with children and families from a culture different to your own.
When reflecting on your self-identity it is important to understand that as adults, our beliefs and values have been formed over time through our own experiences, upbringing, families and surrounding community. Values from childhood are often carried on into adult hood, such as:

But my educator say
At long day care service you will meet children from diverse cultural backgrounds. When they start attending the service they will be in the same situation as you. Please mention how will support those children. How will you help them settle in and develop a sense of belonging?

So can you please help me to give some idea

momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Journal Entry Of Self Identity

Post by momotayeasmin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:53 pm

At long day care service sometimes we meet children from diverse cultural backgrounds. When they start attending the service they will be in the same situation. That time we need to Working together to care for children is the best way for early childhood services and families to support children’s mental health. Families and staff can help to create a bridge between home and early childhood services. When the adults responsible for children take a positive interest in what happens at their service, it helps children feel more at home when they are there. It also makes it easier to pick up any concerns early when they are easiest to resolve. Then we know that A sense of belonging has been found to help protect children against mental health problems and improve their learning. Children who feel that they belong are happier; more relaxed and have fewer behavioural problems than others. They are also more motivated and more successful learners. So Making friends and having positive relationships with staff helps children develop a sense of belonging at their early childhood service.

Is it correct now? Lorina :?:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:53 am

Ok... that seems like a descent response! :thumbup:

Lorina

Silbrown
Participator
Participator

Post by Silbrown » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello, Lorina I have problems with that question a well this is my answer and the note of the assessor is Great you will share your experience with children , However . this response ins not relevant to the question ,
At long day care service - family day care, you will meet children from DIVERSE CULTURAL BACKGROUND ,
When you start attending the service they will be in the same situation as you when you landed on an unknown place , Please mention how will you support that childrem .
How will you help them settle and develop a sense of belonging
all I can think is I will calm and reassure them , talk to them and address their fears and work with the to overcome them
this was my answerç
Journal Entry: In around half a page describe how you might translate this self-reflection to your work with children and families from a culture different to your own

I have been lucky enough of to be a globe trotter , a citizen of the world, and the excitement of one change after another and all the challenges that comes wit it
I think learning a second languages adds a different perspective to a child and is one f the things I like to share with them my mother tong, as much as I can , is why my family day care is bilingual.
From my previous working life, with planes I can share with them the knowledge of geography, history, and even meteorology.
Different festivities have a different meaning in my country than here and is one of my favourites things explaining the children how we celebrate it and why.
For example in Spain we celebrate the arrival of the 3 kings and we receive small presents that day 5 th of Jan is the last day of the X mas tree until the next year, and I incorporate that celebration here too, as the Italian celebration of Bafana, a witch who come after x mas and leave sweets for the good kids, and charcoal to the ones who have not been that good,.

Carnival in Italy have a special meaning and is something I celebrate with my children in family day care, we cook some pasties call Chiachiare, ( Joke ) in Italian, and once a week, we make churros, with hot chocolate, that is a ritual my Spanish maternal mother use to do with us, and I have very beautiful memories of, so I am sure those children will have great memories of the smells on the kitchen and what the mean to me, as 5 years ago in a trip to Sardinia, I try a typical desert made of pastry cheese and honey, which I made here with my children to, and bring me an amazing memory I net heir know was there, someone use to make this desert for me in a Italian neighbourhood of Buenos Aires.
I love to experiment with my senses because print something special on your memory, and I want to translate that as well to the children, explore, discover , test and smell, everything around us.

Coming from a immigrant family of Italians, Spanish and French grandparents and parents, Life is seen with different perspectives, My Italian grandfather in the veggie garden, makes me enjoy today sharing that with my children working with them on it, and blending that experience with my Spanish Grandmother who spend a lot of time on the kitchen, and cooking what we pick up on the garden and sharing it for lunch, from I got a game call petaca which I share with the children as I use to play with my grandfather when I was a child,

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 pm

So for the first point you have to address is:
Silbrown wrote:QR_BBPOST How will you help them settle and develop a sense of belonging

The following will help you give you strategies on how to develop a child's sense of belonging:

Child and Belonging
A space for Belonging

Using the strategies to develop a child's sense of belonging then you have to answer:

Silbrown wrote:QR_BBPOST In around half a page describe how you might translate this self-reflection to your work with children and families from a culture different to your own

Hope this helps,

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:24 pm

BTW - You have quite a mix! Italian, French and Spanish!

I'm half Italian, half greek myself! :)

Lorina

Silbrown
Participator
Participator

Post by Silbrown » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:09 pm

Hello Lorina, I knew you had some greek on you,! I am Argentinean, with Frech , Italian and Spanish grandparents,, is big mix,,,

bacci
Silvina