Final Assessment

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jenngare
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Final Assessment

Post by jenngare » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCHILD401B Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
I have had to complete the story about an abuse situation. I have highlighted the parts that were already there and the rest are my statements to complete the story.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Story
You have developed an excellent relationship with each child you care for by earning the trust through showing the children and their families the respect and care they deserve and observing children to ensure they are developing their skills
Maxwell is a child in your care. During the last week you have noticed that he is withdrawn and has some unexplained bruises on his body. You asked him ‘how did you hurt yourself and he told you mummy was angry.
Maxwell’s abuse requires some close observation, further questioning and reporting my suspicions to the Centre Director.
You know that if you follow this through, you will meet your duty of care to Maxwell. As you are also aware of child protection issues, you know that you needed to protect Maxwell’s rights and to do so you first need to record the information that you have noticed and report it to the Director to start the reporting to the necessary agency to start any investigations.
Your service’s policy advises that you must report this information to the Centre Director, Regional Manager, Operations Manager and the relevant Child Protection Agency.
The policy also states that you need to document the information. Your record looks like this:

Child’s Name: Maxwell Smith Age: 4 years, 6 months Date:
Recorded By: Jennifer Regan
Record of observation: I have noticed over the last week that Maxwell has been very withdrawn and when helping him to change today after he got wet from the sprinkler I noticed bruises on his upper thigh. When I asked how did you hurt yourself? He said ‘Mummy was angry.’

Your supervisor took over the reporting process, kept me informed on what people had said and placed the record with the confidential records in a locked cupboard.
The situation was reported to the Child Safety Services Qld Department of Communities, Chid Safety and Disability Services and you needed to participate in an interview to share information on the situation. Two weeks later a parent asks you if a child in the service has been abused. You say ‘I am unable to discuss any information regarding other children due to confidentiality procedures.

The parent says that they really should be aware of dangerous parents in the service. You recognised this as an ethical dilemma, as firstly I am to maintain confidentiality and respect the right of the family in privacy and secondly I will support workplace policies, standards and practices that are fair, non-discriminatory and are in the best interest of children and families.
However, you maintained your professional boundaries by saying, I understand your concerns however I also respect the confidentiality of all children and their families so will not be discussing this matter with anyone and then you reported this ethical situation to the group leader and Centre Director.
From this situation you identified that you would benefit from gaining more skills or training in the area of asking children more open and non-invasive questions to be able to assist the children to open up to me if there is a situation of abuse or neglect.

Description and Message:
I would really appreciate if someone could advise me that this story makes sense and uses the right techniques.
Thanks Jenny

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Final Assessment

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am

Which are the highlighted areas? I am confused as to the info which you had and what you have added

jenngare
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Re: Final Assessment

Post by jenngare » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Sorry the highlights didn't work i will try again. Thanks