Diversity cluster

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
namu_ff

Diversity cluster

Post by namu_ff » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:25 pm

Task 3: Evaluating Cultural Safety

Wini, aged 4 and her brother Khodi, aged 2 just enrolled at your service. Their family have just moved into the area as dad has a new job nearby. Wini and Khodi’s family identify as Aboriginal and there are no other Aboriginal families in your service.
On their first day, the children are taken to different rooms according to their ages. Wini was taken to the 3-5’s room and Khodi to the 0-2 room. The director followed the mother and Khodi to the 0-2’s room and began a conversation about their identity and the possibility of her husband coming ito the service to share their culture with the children and staff. She suggested perhaps they could come in and do dot painting with the children. She then asked across the room to another staff member “Please direct Khodi’s mum to my office when she is leaving so I don’t forget to fill in the Aboriginal fee relief paperwork”.

Later when Khodi and Wini’s dad picked them up, staff explained that Wini was very quiet and did not want to engage in many activities rather choosing to sit in the book corner (which contains posters of children from all around the world in play and reading books- including Aboriginal Children) most of the day but not reading or engaging with the books much. He informed the staff that Wini really enjoyed playing with dolls and reading and asked if the service had any resources that could allow Wini to feel welcome and connected to the service as he could only see white-Anglo babies and books and puzzles depicting photos of white-Anglo children. When Wini got home she told Dad she did not want to talk to the staff as they would often correct the way she spoke and asked why they she was told not to refer to the other kids as “them mob” as she would her cousins and told to say those children/kids.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING QUESTION NO.2 AS I HAVE WRITTEN THE ANSWER BUT I AM NOT SURE IF ITS CORRECT OR NOT

2. What are the potential responses that staff could expect from this family?
Following are the potential responses that staff could expect from this family
• Some family responses so rudely while some of them can understand the situation so well
• Parents of Khodi and Wini might ask them to put an extra effort to settle them in the childcare
• Family could ask them to put some Aboriginal posters and puzzles so that their kids feel welcomed
• Family might give them the basic idea of their culture and language so it’s easy for childcare educators to communicate and behave with their children
• Many parents are helpful to the service while some of them are not