CHCPRT001 Code Of Ethics

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Mara17

CHCPRT001 Code Of Ethics

Post by Mara17 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the long post but I'm having a lot trouble with Task 1 - Question K:
Select 2 statements under the headings of 'in relation to children' and in 'in relation to families' that you think are important in your response to the family in this scenario and why. (Code Of Ethics)

Scenario: Kaya & Callen
It is March 2015 and you are an educator at Cresthill Early Learning centre.
Kaya (3.5 years) and Callen (20 months) have attended Cresthill Education and Care Service Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for the past 12 months. Kaya’s mum Lucille recently had a baby boy Zachary who is two months old. Kaya’s parents have migrated to Australia 14 months ago and have no extended family or support in Australia. Lucille has limited English.

Kaya has always been chirpy and is popular amongst her friends. Kaya is fully toilet trained for the last six months however in the last two weeks she has been having toileting accidents. She has also recently been displaying aggressive behaviour when playing with other children. You have discussed Kaya’s toileting accidents with her mum at the drop off time and have also mentioned about her aggressive behaviour.

Callen is 20 months old. In the last two weeks Callen has changed from being a happy and playful child to now sitting in the corner of the room. When educators have approached Callen he will often appear afraid and cry. When this behaviour was discussed with his mum, she mentioned “Their dad comes home late from work drunk and yells at the children, especially Callen I try hard not make him angry”.

When Kaya and Callen arrive at 9am with their mum today, you greet them and their mum in the centre foyer. The children are playing outdoors so you ask Kaya and Callen to get their hats. Mum says ‘I sorry I forgot their bags we have hard night, Callen’s dad hit Callen for crying’. You suggest Kaya and Callen get spare hats from the foyer. She then says goodbye and leaves. After mum leaves, you assist Callen in putting his hat on and you notice Callen has a black right eye and a big round bump on the right hand side of his forehead, about 50 cents in size. You ask ‘Are you ok?’ Callen sees cars on the mat and moves towards the mat, away from other children.

You walk over to join Callen at the car mat and Rosie (another educator in the room) says “I can’t believe Callen’s mum forgot their bags again, and can you see the lump he has on his head? That’s so bad”

For 'in relation to children' I chose:
*Create and maintain safe, healthy environments, spaces and places, which enhance childrens learning, development, engagement, initiative, self-worth, dignity and show respect for their contributions.

WHY I CHOSE THIS:
*In this scenario, it shows that the children in this family are showing indications of their home life as not being a safe and healthy environment for them at this present time. Maintaining a safe, secure and respectful environment at the service will help the children with their development, their self-worth and restoring their dignity.

For 'in relation to families' I chose:
*Be sensitive to the vulnerabilities of children and families and respond in ways that empower and maintain the dignity of all children and families.

WHY I CHOSE THIS:
The children in this scenario are in a vulnerable state at this present time, as they are both dealing with issues at home. Hearing another educator make comments about the child and their family, in front of the child and not in a confidential or non-judgemental manner, could make the child upset and make them feel inadequate.

Am I on the right track?
I appreciate any help given!!
Just need a bit of clarification as I believe I am over thinking the question.

Thank you in advance :)