CHCPR301A - Planning Excursion - Play and Learning Experiences

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jc1985

CHCPR301A - Planning Excursion - Play and Learning Experiences

Post by jc1985 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:19 pm

hi guys i have almost finished my assignment for this module but i am a little stuck for ideas. i have to plan an excursion for a group of children aged 3-5 yrs and explain why i have chosen it. i could really use some ideas and help

Lorina

Re: CHCPR301A - Planning Excursion - Play and Learning Experiences

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Planning an excursion for a group of children is really exciting although there is a lot of hard work involved to make sure that everyone is safe and accounted for during the excursion.

I think the best way to think about where you will go for the excursion should be based on the current interests of the children. It could be anywhere … the zoo, the movies, the aquarium, reptile park, a science museum, the park, local shops etc…. When planning an excursion you need to follow the policies and procedures of the centre as well as the Children's Service Regulations on going on an excursion. You will also need to organize transportation, ratios, how many children, collecting money, permission forms, the safety of the children getting there and back etc…. Definitely a lot to think about!

:geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm in FDc and these are the policy our Scheme requires us to follow

Carer educators and staff
• Obtain written and signed permission from families prior to any excursions.

• Only those adults (over 18) who are authorised to drop off and collect may sign the excursion permission forms.

• Select excursion locations and events to enhance children’s experiences and learning.

• Maintain a balance between going out and staying at home, taking account of the children’s need for routine, familiar home location, sleep and eating.

• Before an excursion takes place an Excursion Risk Management form must be completed. Travel or walk the exact route to be taken to any planned excursion and visit the planned locations. Identify potential hazards and how they can be eliminated or managed. Check the availability of toilets, shade, stroller accessibility, phone reception.

• For routine excursions, only an initial Excursion Risk Management form needs to be completed, eg: scheme play sessions or regular play sessions at another carer educator’s home.

• Excursion Risk Management forms must be retained with the Excursion Permission forms. These forms must be kept for 2 years and from then on until the child reaches 24 years of age at the co-ordination unit office. (See ‘Managing Records’ Policy)

• All excursions must have prior approval from the Licensee/Authorised Supervisor.

• Excursion forms and Risk Management forms must be submitted to the Co-ordination Unit at least 24 hours prior to the date of the excursion.

• An up-to-date family/emergency contact list and a mobile phone are to be taken on all excursions.

• A first aid kit is to be taken on all excursions.

• Discuss safe excursion behaviour with the children before and during any trips or outings.

• Promote awareness in children of road safety and play safety beforehand and by using a commentary about safety while on excursions and when out walking.

• Ensure children are protected from sun exposure with appropriate hats, clothing, sunscreen and drinking water. (See Sun Protection Policy)

• Ensure children are supervised at all times and be alert to all the children’s whereabouts, activities and safety.

• Never leave children alone in motor vehicles, or standing alone by the side of the road or road crossing.

• Be aware of extra precautions that might be needed for children with a disability or medical needs such as allergies.

• When traveling by car, ensure that the child restraints are appropriate for the age of the children and that they have been checked and approved by an Authorised Restraint organisation.

• Organise identification tags for children if going to public places where there is, however slight, a possibility of a child becoming lost from the group. Have Bega Valley Family Day Care and the carer educators name and mobile phone number on it. Do not include the child’s name on the tag for child protection reasons.

• Have a contingency plan incase the excursion needs to be abandoned due to unforeseen circumstances or risk.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Sat May 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Whatever you decide make sure that the risk assessment comes out as low on all aspects of the excursion so you can use minimal ratios. If you choose an excursion with a moderate or high risk in any activity(sorry, experience) then you will be opening a great big can of worms. Some lecturers are weird on this topic. Have a look at the National Regulations 100 to 102 and you will notice no ratios are mentioned its all numbers. If all the risks are low then you can use minimal ratios which are the same as the centre. You are lucky that you have this option, I was given a scenario with a pond and trying to satisfy the lecturer has been impossible. As the course is one that is ungraded if I don't pass then that's it and I have already had multiple resubmissions. Its been going on for over 8 months now on a 3 month course.
Reg 100 tells you a risk assessment is needed.
Reg 101 tells you what has to be in that risk assessment
Reg 102 says to have the director ask for approval.

Although it has nothing to do with your question, this is the best bit about excursions.
The whole risk management is then included in a note and its the parent who approves it. Not the director, educator or supervisor.
Sounds like a pretty lame attempt at a waiver or release to transfer responsibility from the centre to the parent in a similar way that ACECQA transferred responsibility from themselves to the centre by saying supervision must be adequate. However it won't work, as a waiver is a contract and this farcical situation falls down more than once on contact formation. I look forward to a major rewrite of the regulations as soon as someone gets hurt and the attempt of using a waiver is rejected by the court.