CHCIC301D Interact effectively with children.

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
elizabeth

CHCIC301D Interact effectively with children.

Post by elizabeth » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi, people, this is the first time I have posted a question on this forum. Please tell me if i'm in the wrong place.

This isn't a specific assignment question but does relate to one of the questions: “What methods would you use to communicate appropriately with children regarding their age, developmental stage and culture?” (in subject CHCIC301D)

An activity in my course notes suggest using different forms of the same question depending on the age of the child. For example:
For an 18 month old you would use “Kye, have drink now?”
For a 2.5 year old you would use “Kye, you have a drink now?”
For a 4 year old you would use “Kye, would you like a drink now?”

My question: Should we really drop words out of our sentences when speaking to toddlers? I am so surprised that I have read this over and over again looking for something I have missed or misunderstood.

I would argue for using natural sentences with all the fill-in words, and natural speech rhythm when speaking to babies and children. The reason I suggest this – even when speaking to children who are developmentally in the stage of using holophrases or telgraphic speech, or even babble, is that for the child to eventually learn to speak in sentences they must surely have to hear sentences used. In addition the baby's early “speech” (after cooing) is babble that mimics the intonation and rhythm of normal speech. This means they are already listening to the natural rhythms of the language even while they are still babies, and before they have actual words. If we drop words out of sentences, surely we can't help but lose the rhythm and inflexion of speech that babies are tuning it to.

I would appreciate any discussion on this since I am having great difficulty reconciling myself to this approach.

HappyDays
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Re: CHCIC301D Interact effectively with children.

Post by HappyDays » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi Elizabeth, This is also my first time posting anything on this forum. I too was surprised by this example. I never "dumb down" language to speak to babies or toddlers. This is one of those times when your own common sense tells you to provide the answer in your course as per the course notes but use your own judgement in real life situations. If this is how school-leavers without their own children or experience are being taught to respond to children they care for in centre-based care - then is it any wonder children do not speak properly?! Society is all for teaching kids the actual words for things, particularly body parts - however they don't teach them how to use these words in a civilised sentence. I will get off my soap box now - however I too am amazed and disappointed that this is being taught as a standard. Good luck with your course - I finished mine earlier this year.

elizabeth

Re: CHCIC301D Interact effectively with children.

Post by elizabeth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Thank so much for your reply, Happy Days - I'm glad i'm not the only who finds this odd. Also, congratuations on finshing your course!