CHCECE001 - Community Protocols When Engaging With Community Members

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jacey

CHCECE001 - Community Protocols When Engaging With Community Members

Post by Jacey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Part C
Identify and consult with appropriate persons to obtain knowledge of local cultural groups and seek out information about any community protocols that must be followed when engaging community members from these groups.
Develop a one-page information sheet or flyer that could be shared with the staff and educators at the service, summarising the community protocols that must be followed when engaging community members.

This is what I have so far, Am I on the right track, I am still trying to find someone in my community to help me but having not luck and do not like to rely on internet for this sort of information...
Engaging with People from Groups in the Community
Protocols are ethical principles which guide behaviour in a specific situation. These protocols should be used and followed to when dealing with people from different cultures as this not only shows respect it also develops your culturally appropriate work practices. Cultural protocols are the principles of behaviour that we use to show respect to each other. Every culture has different ways of communicating, and in order to be able to work with someone from a different culture in a respectful way you need to understand how people might see, value or express things differently.
The cultural group identified in Toogoolawah was Aboriginal and Torres Strait.
Some of these protocols are listed below;
Acknowledgement of traditional land owners. When organising a meeting, event or conference, it is respectful and good practice to acknowledge the land in which you are meeting and its original custodians.
When interacting with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples avoid using direct eye contact and choosing to focus on a neutral spot during a conversation will be understood.
Be aware and respectful of relevant extended family and kinship structures when working with Aboriginal people. Ensure that extended family is included in important meetings and in making important decisions.
Another protocol to be respected when dealing with members from Aboriginal or Torres Strait communities is to understand that body language is often more important than verbal content. Be aware of your own body language and the impact it can have on your engagement with these community members.
Pronunciation or accent is a fundamental differentiation of Aboriginal English from Standard Australian English. Even though the words used have the same meaning, some Aboriginal people tend to pronounce words and letters differently; letters are overcompensated, left out or substituted. Do not imitate Aboriginal speech patterns or assume Aboriginal people will be more open with you by attempting to speak Aboriginal English with them.
Thank you in advance

Lorina

Re: CHCECE001 - Community Protocols When Engaging With Community Members

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:55 am

You're on the right track! :thumbup:

This may also help:

Cultural Protocols

:geek:,
Lorina

Jacey

Re: CHCECE001 - Community Protocols When Engaging With Community Members

Post by Jacey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:21 am

Hi Lorina,
Thank you very much, just needed a little reassurance. Thank you for information as well.

Jodie