CHCCHILD401B - Collecting Child Without Authorization

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ANiegut

CHCCHILD401B - Collecting Child Without Authorization

Post by ANiegut » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Identify and respond to children and young people at risk - CHCCHILD401B
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
A man presents to the day care I am an assistant educator at to see his 4.5 year old daughter who has been attending the center for 5 months. I understand the child comes from a single parent family. Another parents confirms he is the father of the girl. I have checked the man's id. and upon checking the child's file I find no father listed. The questions are:
1. How do you respond to this situation?
2. What policies would you consult to support your decision?
3. Who would you report this situation too and why?
4. Who would you not discuss this situation with and why?
5. What ethical and legal decisions will you make in relation to this scenario?
6. How did you protect the rights of the child in this situation?
7. What follow up action is required to prevent this situation from recurring? How will you ensure this action protects the rights of all parties involved?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
1. How do you respond to this situation?
By asking him to please take a seat (if available) in reception while contact is made with the mother of the child as he is not currently listed on the contact list. Ask for his drivers license as proof of identity informing him a copy would be made for the child’s file for future reference.
Contact the Mother via phone to discuss the situation. If she is unreachable, try the emergency contact as per my centers policy. Shoud they be unreachable apologize to the man but inform him he would need to have the mother contact them to provide permission before access can be granted.

2. What policies would you consult to support your decision
The centers Confidentiality Policy and the Guide to the National Quality Standards. (?)

3. Who would you report this situation to and why?
The center’s Director immediately to meet legal requirements and as evidence of what was said and done should this become an issue. (?)

4. Who would you not discuss this situation with and why?
Other parents as this would be breaching the family’s privacy.
With the child as it is as I am not aware of the family situation.
With my room leader as I am the assistant educator and therefore my supervisor should be aware of the situation.

5. What ethical and legal decisions will you make in relation to this scenario?
Although he had been identified as her father he is not listed on the contact sheet. The decision to not let him see her is one that is a legal requirement as well as an ethical one. (?)

6. How did you protect this rights of the child in this situation?
Provided a safe environment and respected the family’s privacy by not discussing the matter outside of those who needed to know.

7. What follow up action is required to prevent this situation from recurring? How will you ensure this action protects the rights of all parties involved?
By having the mother add the father to the contact list and asking in future if someone outside of those lists are to come to visit or pick up their daughter it is arranged prior to arrival. Should she not wish him to have contact, ask she provide any legal documents stating any Parenting or Contact orders she may have.

Description and Message:
Would greatly appreciate input as I really think I am missing something in this unit.
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCCHILD401B - Collecting Child Without Authorization

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 am

Your answers are on the right track... Some additional information you can include in your responses:

National Quality Area 2: Children's Health and Safety -Standard 2.3 - Each child is Protected

"Collection of children must be by a parent or authorised nominee and a record of children’s arrival and departure is kept at the service, with the signature of the person responsible for verifying the accuracy of the record or the person collecting the child".

National Law and National Regulations: Collection Of Children - A child may only leave the education and care service premises under any of the following circumstances:

• a parent or authorised nominee collects the child
• a parent or authorised nominee provides written authorisation for the child to leave the premises
• a parent or authorised nominee provides written authorisation for the child to attend an excursion
• the child requires medical, hospital or ambulance treatment, or there is another emergency

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

ANiegut

Post by ANiegut » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 am

Perfect. Thanks very much.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi ANiegut,
I think you are on the right track, but upon reading your post I think you may have made a typing error.
4. Who would you not discuss this situation with and why?Other parents as this would be breaching the family’s privacy.With the child as it is as I am not aware of the family situtation.With my room leader as I am the assistant educator and therefore my supervisor should be aware of the situation.
I think you would discuss the situation with the room leader...I think you may have accidently put this answer under the wrong question..Hope this makes sense.

Jules.

ANiegut

Post by ANiegut » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Yes Jules, thanks I have re-written this that many times I missed the half deleted sentence.

Lorina would you be able to send me the link to the National Laws and Regualtions? I downloaded the SA ones and it is just a confusing heap of mess and I can't find anything in it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 pm

No problem! I'm attaching a copy for you here...

[attachment=0]NQF-Guide-NationalLaw-NationalRegulations.pdf[/attachment]
:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.