Site Announcements

Welcome To AussieChildcareNetwork.com!

At the moment you are viewing as a guest... For more features click here to Register and participate in our Forum discussions, create articles in our Wiki, browse through our Printables, Gallery and download Online EYLF Tools Templates...

How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

FAQs on starting a career in childcare, starting a childcare centre, job interviews, childcare qualifications FAQs, childcare wages, becoming a teacher and more..

Moderator: Support Team

Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Postby Lorina » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Hey Everyone,

As a childcare worker in Australia what are you expected to be paid? How do you determine your pay rate? What is your current childcare wage?

I know a lot of you may be wondering how much that you, as a childcare worker should be paid. At times I’m sure most of us feel that we should be paid more than what we get. I’m, also wondering the same… ever since the new modern award wage set in I feel as if I’ve kinda lost out and actually getting paid less than I would of previously. I was overseas at the time the new modern award wage set in so I don’t know a lot about it. But from what I understand with the new modern award wage, it states the minimum hourly wage that you can receive. So, if the minimum hourly wage is $15 an hour then your employer has a right to pay that.

In the previous award as a diploma trained, each year that you hold your diploma you will receive a pay increase every year for upto 4 years. As far as I am aware I don’t think this is the case with the new modern award. I also have heard about the transitional period. I think this means that if you were working at a centre when the modern award wage kicked in, you will be given a different hourly wage (which the government worked out) before you received the new award. My question is how an employer determines how much to pay you… For instance, I’ve had my diploma since 2007 and I’ve been working in childcare for over 7 years and at the moment I am getting around $23.50 per hour. With the new modern award wage it states that the minimum wage for a diploma with a level 4 is around $22 per hour. So this is actually less than what I got previously. I am actually losing out with this new modern award. Has anyone of you experienced this? The thing is there is no set amount that we are to be paid which makes it so difficult in knowing how much we are actually supposed to be getting. Also thinking about it, this also sounds very unfair for people who have had many years of experience. Over my time I’ve worked with great staff who have been working in childcare for a certain number of years but was never able to do a qualification…from what I see experience is invaluable, if you are under these circumstances how can you benefit?

If you don’t mind me asking, I would actually like to hear from you how much you are getting at your current centre. You don’t need to disclose your name or the centre you are working at but I would be very interested in hearing the hourly wage you receive. If you are an employer, I would like to hear about how you deal with pay and how you determine what amount to pay the employees. This topic is an open discussion and Please share your thoughts and views on this issue as I’m sure a lot of us have many questions about our wages in childcare. I am hoping the discussions in this topic will also help all us childcare professionals understand more about negotiating wages when applying for a new job as well as to get an idea of how much we are expected to be paid.

Looking forward in reading your comments,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A
Lorina
Guru
Progress to next rank:
29.1%

Nickname: L.A
Profession: Childcare Professional & Parent
State: NSW

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Postby fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Well since I have NO idea yet what I will be paid in my current job I cannot say though the Director is saying about the same ($22/hr), but who knows as she keeps avoiding telling me the exact figure so I am not holding my breath but wont be happy if its anything less than $22
My previous job I was getting paid $22.99/hr but that was only with a Cert III but they gave us 10% more if we had a Montessori Qualification (since it was a Montessori Childcare) and 10% more for working for them (they were privately owned) ... had I remained their I would have probably been nearing $25/hr with a Diploma completed
I personally just wish finding out what we should be paid should be easier .... and I also think we should be paid more, I have 15 yrs of experience in Education yet all that gets counted is having my Cert III & now my Diploma???!!! why?? that is insane.
If you are in another profession and you have X amount of years experience usually your salary will reflect so, why is childcare so weird in the way they structure the pay scale???
And we should be paid a heck of a lot more, considering we are helping guide and develop future generations of our nation.
I would like to have some negotiating power when I get offered a job and say "sorry I think I am worth more than $22/hr and would be happy to work for $X/hr could you give me that?"
I too would be very interested to see what everyone is being paid
fchaudari76
Support Team
Scholar
Progress to next rank:
19.5%

Nickname: fchaudari76
Profession: Childcare Professional & Student
State: QLD

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Postby dulciean » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

good morning- well this subject could potentially be a sensitive issue, as you know that people are reticent to discuss their earnings! i don't mind sharing- i am CERT III qualified with 2 years full time Centre based experience, plus 5 years part time as a preschool assistant.I am currently earning $21.50 per hour as a full time ( 38 hour ) employee. I think our Diploma earns $23.50, and the ECT $25.50. This is at a private Centre in inner-city Sydney. Come on folks- let's share the info so we know where we stand and we can negotiate better pay- we all know we're worth it!!! :D
dulciean
Consultant
Progress to next rank:
18%

Nickname: hummingbird
Profession: Parent, Student & Childcare Professional

Postby fchaudari76 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:36 pm

lol obviously not many people wishing to share
fchaudari76
Support Team
Scholar
Progress to next rank:
19.5%

Postby Lorina » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Thank you Fefe and Dulciean for sharing your thoughts on this issue.

by dulciean » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am
well this subject could potentially be a sensitive issue, as you know that people are reticent to discuss their earnings!

I agree.. but now that we have started this discussion hopefully this should encourage others to understand that we are all in this together and we are just trying to help each other out.

by fefe76 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:36 pm
lol obviously not many people wishing to share

Patience... ;)

Cheers :geek:,
L.A
Lorina
Guru
Progress to next rank:
29.1%

Nickname: L.A
Profession: Childcare Professional & Parent

Postby dulciean » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:51 pm

aww c'mon people- it's not that big a deal! reckon we can all agree we are under-paid for the work we do!
dulciean
Consultant
Progress to next rank:
18%

Nickname: hummingbird
Profession: Parent, Student & Childcare Professional

Postby fchaudari76 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 pm

I agree, we deserve to know the disparities between pays so we can put ourselves in a better position to know if what wages we are being offered are on par with what we should be getting
fchaudari76
Support Team
Scholar
Progress to next rank:
19.5%

Postby Rosie123 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:30 am

Hi everybody
I work for a private childcare and I am casual. I get $25.70 per hour for a 1st year trained diploma. I have heard some caters receiving $30.00 hour. My centre pays the minimum.

Rosie
Rosie123
Participator
Progress to next rank:
6.7%

Nickname: Rose
Profession: Childcare Professional
State: WA

Postby fchaudari76 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Rosie - obviously as a casual you would be getting more than a FT employee so I'd say if you were working FT you'd prob get around $22 unless your centre pays extremely well

Where do they get $30?? i want to work there!
fchaudari76
Support Team
Scholar
Progress to next rank:
19.5%

Postby Rosie123 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi fete,
I think it was one of the universities, they seem to pay higher rates.
Rosie123
Participator
Progress to next rank:
6.7%

Nickname: Rose
Profession: Childcare Professional
State: WA

Next

Return to Career In Child Care