Site Announcements

Welcome To AussieChildcareNetwork.com!

At the moment you are viewing as a guest... For more features click here to Register and participate in our Forum discussions, create articles in our Wiki, browse through our Printables, Gallery and download Online EYLF Tools Templates...

too old for a traineeship???

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.

Moderator: Support Team

Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please use the Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!

too old for a traineeship???

Postby tjd » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi ,
I am 32 year old mother of 2 boys and i am thinking about doing a Traineeship in child care as i have had some previous casual work in a few centres before i had my children and want some hands on experience rather than studying at TAFE.
I really want to work in Child care but i think i might be too old to start a traineeship.
tjd
Progress to next rank:
5%

Nickname: tj
Profession: Childcare Professional & Parent
State: NSW

Re: too old for a traineeship???

Postby Lorina » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi tj,

You’re not too old to start a traineeship I say go for it!!!!

My assistant in my toddler room is a mature lady and I have so much respect and love for her…she is fantastic!! I say you should seriously consider it…

You can certainly do the traineeship in childcare to get hands on experience. But make sure that you are commited and determined to complete it once you get started. I have seen many people in the past who started to do a traineeship and later either lost interest in studying or didnt want to do any assignments and all...So I would say that "Self Motivation" is more important that Age. Especially if you havent been studying for a few years gap in between.

Remember, once you complete what you started, its the best feeling. Also I personally dont think that traineeship is that hard to complete and you can finish it fairly easily if you are focussed...

So I reckon you should go for it if thats what you want to do..Even if you start your career now, you still have atleast another 25 years you can work..so yeah...you are still young!

take it easy and wish you all the best!

:geek:,
L.A
Lorina
Guru
Progress to next rank:
39.5%

Nickname: L.A

Postby babayaga » Sun May 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Never too old! I am 53 and just starting my career in childcare. I am zooming through Cert III, aiming for my diploma, love studying, love working with preschoolers and toddlers and bringing my lifeskills into focus. Now that my own children are grown up I am loving coming back to early childhood a bit wiser and able to give so much . It is also essential that we take good care of our own health and well-being so that we can be the best possible educators for the little ones.
babayaga
Participator
Progress to next rank:
43.3%

Nickname: Timmy
Profession: Childcare Professional & Student

Postby justme » Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 pm

If you can afford the really really super low pay then go for it.

Did you know the average pay for trainees is about $9-$12 per hour.

I know of an older lady who has started her traineeship. Her husband supports them so money is not an issue - She just wants to do something for herself.
justme

Postby coosa » Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Im 36 and in a traineeship :) your never too old...go for it
coosa
Progress to next rank:
40%

Nickname: coosa
State: VIC

Postby elizabeth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 am

I'm 52 and doing my Cert III.

I was taught maths by a teacher in her 80s (yes, eighties, and she could beat the boys at arm wrestling! If you're curious how that came about ask me and I'll explain.) and my children were taught scripture by a woman in her 80s.

If you can sit on the floor and get up again you're not too old to do child care - extra life experience can only be an asset.
elizabeth
Progress to next rank:
20%

Nickname: bet
Profession: Student

Postby lorena_mcculloch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Im 37 and mother of 2 kids as well and just started doing my cert 3 and im loving it...
Your not old if you have passion for kids then go for it...
lorena_mcculloch
Progress to next rank:
70%

Nickname: norie
Profession: Parent & Student
State: QLD

Postby fchaudari76 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:08 am

If you think this is what you want to do and are willing to work for very little pay while doing the traineeship then go for it. Age has no relevance ... I am 36 and doing a degree and was 34 when I did my Diploma ... I think being more mature will be an advantage.
fchaudari76
Support Team
Scholar
Progress to next rank:
19.7%

Nickname: fchaudari76

Postby annabel30 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 pm

You are not too old to start. I am 54 and just started my diploma, last year I did my cert111. Go for it and best of luck. :)
annabel30
Progress to next rank:
5%

Nickname: annie

Postby dulciean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:10 pm

I am loving this thread- kudos to all in their more mature years for training and furthering themselves in the Early Childhood sector- we certainly bring the richness of life experience- a perfect complement to the vigor and energy of youth! Most inspirational. :D
dulciean
Consultant
Progress to next rank:
18%

Nickname: hummingbird
Profession: Parent, Student & Childcare Professional

Return to Certificate 3 & Certificate 4 - General Discussions